Author's Bio: Anton Mamaenko

Saturday, December 3, 2016

Plain-text email experiment

[20161115]
About two weeks ago I started an experiment of using only plain-text in my emails. The rationale behind this experiment is that in 2016 AD terminal-based apps seem to be the one most efficient way to compose information-rich messages including code, documentation, and even diagrams.

- VIM seems to be my favorite choice for text editor
- Mutt seems to be my favorite email client

However, using mutt after long history of html-based editors (gmail, MS Outlook, etc.) is not that easy, so before switching to that thing of beauty completely, I'd like to see for myself that plain-text indeed is a good choice for a crazy working environment of a project manager.

Couple of things that I learned so far:

* [Nov 15] Most people do not realize that I am using plain-text only mode, so they keep sending back HTML-formatted messages that break the thread
* [Dec 02] Email clients are not too great at handling hard line breaks. If one changes the windows size, then the client would add soft breaks that will look ugly combined with hard ones



No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog